The SUBSTATION is inviting applications from Victorian based independent performing artists and groups of artists to develop and present new work during the Melbourne Fringe which responds to our curatorial direction.
Artists are required to respond to one or all of the following:
- Non-traditional artistic practice which is multidisciplinary or cross art form
- Presentation which responds to our unique architectural spaces (site specific)
- Contemporary practice which relates to our place in Melbourne.
Two successful Victorian based independent artists or groups of artists will be selected and will be provided with:
- Access to our space (either main space or rehearsal room) for up to 2 weeks including presentation
- Access to our technical equipment
- A commissioning fee of $3,000 per artist or group of artists.
The SUBSTATION presents an annual curated program of creative development, residencies and presentation. Engaging with artists from across artistic disciplines, working in non-traditional modes and across art forms, we provide the opportunity for artists and audiences to connect with our unique space and distinctive location in Newport in the West of Melbourne. The SUBSTATION aims to foster the development and presentation of contemporary arts and ideas from across art forms.
In order to apply independent artists or groups of artists need to submit the the following information:
- Name of project
- Name of artist/company
- Contact email address
- Names of key artists and biographies
- A description of the work (300 words max)
- How the project responds to The SUBSTATION’s curatorial framework
- URL links to examples of your work or practice
Applicants will be notified if they are successful by Monday 16 May and are expected to enter into an agreement with The SUBSTATION with regard to their development and presentation during Melbourne Fringe 2016 (16 - 25 September).
Only Victorian based independent artists or groups of artists are eligible to apply. Artists are only permitted to submit one application.
Due to resources constraints, unsuccessful applicants will not be provided with feedback.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 6 May
To discuss your application please contact Daisy Douglas, Program Producer:
Email: [email protected] with subject title ‘Melbourne Fringe Open Call’
Phone: 03 9391 1110